Saturday, May 19, 2012

A Little Thank You Note


Last week, the building I rent a studio in had an open doors weekend.  Needless to say my studiomate and I have jumped on the occasion, and  transformed the space to make it more gallery like. First, we patched all the holes in the walls, and painted it a neutral matte grey for picture taking.  We then proceeded to clean up the studio, and set up our show.  Everything was quite nice, at that point. We still had to make a few minor ajustments, but we were ready. And I came home with a great sense of accomplishment.

However, I don’t want to give you some motivational talk in this post. I’d rather just leave you some food for thought. 

I can never stress enough how much work putting up a show is. We had 2 very important helpers: my studiomate’s friend played photographer for our portfolio pictures, and J. came over to help us plan our space for the show.  I think our show was only better because of these two men and their generosity.
Our photographer kindly came to take pictures with his latest model Nikon, a beautiful camera. He offered to fix our photos for us in Photoshop. We are paying him, but much less than it would have cost to rent the equipement to do it ourselves. The whole process took one hour and a half. We had fun, he had fun, and we all went for a snack afterwards. His help was very much appreciated.

J. also had great ideas for hanging the art. It was great to have an outside view of our space. I realize we weren’t thinking about how people would interact with the space before he showed up and insisted on creating angles to break up the linear walls.

These episodes made me remember how greatly personal projects depend on the help we can get from other people. Art is a huge project, and because you can’t be good at everything, well, friends are a great alternative!

Thank you for your kind help, J and J !

No comments:

Post a Comment